Tuesday, August 6, 2013

God explained to myself


I'm a vocal non-believer in God. It has occasionally worried me - 'Am I missing some logic, just because of my intellectual arrogance?'. I recently found that missing piece while doing an 'assumption busting' exercise on my beliefs.
I believe that God can not exist, or is not worthy of praise, since he does not look after most of his children. You see, fathers are expected to look after their children and not stand judge to them. Also, they don't discriminate. God fails that test, miserably.
But it struck me recently that maybe I am making a quick, and fallacious, assumption. If he is not benevolent, it could be surmised that he is not a father. However, that doesn't imply that he can't exist? What if he is a cinema story writer?
A story writer is under no obligation to make each character come out smelling like roses. He has no interest in their sentiments or their welfare; they are a just a figment of his imagination.
Makes sense. Even if God is not actually not a story writer, he could well be. So, God not being a father doesn't close all options for his existence.
So, if you say that God is uninterested in the fate of individuals a la story writers, I can understand him. I can also grant him 'creator' status.
But, of course, I then see no reason to praise or please him. That rationale is inconsistent with the 'father' explanation of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment