Saturday, September 3, 2011

Bad roads are a must for democracy to survive?

I am occasionally told that 'democracy is the worst form of government, except when compared to all others'. When I lament about anything even as non-controversial as potholes in Mumbai, I'm reminded mostly of two things -
1. Things move slowly in a democracy.
2. Thank democracy for giving you the right to even air your lament.
The upshot clearly is - roads will always be bad in a democracy. You need to choose between good roads and democracy. They are mutual exclusives. Also the Indian Catch 22 - 'You have right to complaint against bad roads. However, the government's answer to that complaint is that this is intentionally so, just to preserve your right to complaint against bad roads. So, just shut up. Look out for the next pothole on the road'.
Not only is the argument untrue, it is a churlish insult to my intelligence and powers of reasoning.
If bad roads and democracy are so inextricably interlinked, why are there good roads in the US? Do people in the US not get to complain?
Their next argument my well be - But US is not democracy!
I roll my eyes in exasperation ( is there some emoticon for that expression?)

No comments:

Post a Comment